A timeline of Election Night

 

8 November 2016. Boston, MA. From the left, BU students Juan Zapata (freshman), Chasyty Escobar (sophomore), Rose Martinez (sophomore) and Chris Reyes (sophomore) follow the Election Viewing Party organized by Boston University at the George Sherman Union. At the beginning of the night the students show with applauses and hollers their support to the Democratic presidential candidate, Hillary Clinton. In the basement were the event is organized the students can follow on the screens the election coverage by the CNN, together with the live-updated projections of the New York Times. At 7.02 pm from the live-blog of the New York Times the reporter Nick Confessore writes: “In talking to voters today, our crack team of reporters around the country found a nation at the end of its rope — paranoid and distrustful. Two countries, really, hostile and disenchanted with each other.”

8 November 2016. Boston, MA. From the left, BU students Alice Bai (junior), Wezi-Anne McCarthy (junior) and Kobi Kasall (sophomore) take part to the Election Viewing Party organized by Boston University at the George Sherman Union. They are some of the organizers of the party, where the students, many of whom are internationals, follow the election night together, enjoying some free food and waiting for the results. On some posters on the wall the students write their answer to the questions “Why have you voted?” and “This election matter because…”. Somebody wrote “I voted so my family can leave in peace with less prejudice” and “I voted because I don’t want to be a slave”.

8 November 2016. Boston, MA. From the left, BU students Sara Ospina (sophomore) and Camilla Romero (junior) follow the Election Viewing Party organized by Boston University at the George Sherman Union. They react to the CNN live coverage of the election night, that has just shown another success for the Republican candidate Donald Trump. At 8.53 pm the reporter Alan Rappeport writes on the live-blogging of the New York Times: “The Upshot forecast currently gives Clinton a 74 percent chance of winning, with Trump at 26 percent. The gap has been narrowing”. At 9.23 pm he writes “our Upshot forecast now has Clinton’s chances of winning the presidency at 59 percent. That’s down from 85 percent.”

8 November 2016. Boston, MA. A BU student shows his support for the Republican candidate Donald Trump during the Election Viewing Party organized by Boston University at the George Sherman Union. By the time he enters the room where the party is organized, the polls have shown that there has been a drastic upset in the probability of winning presidency by the favorite Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton. At 9.43 PM Nate Cohn, reporter of the New York Times, writes on the live-blog “Trump is now favored in our forecast”. At 10.41 Nick Confessore writes on the live-blog: “It feels like we are at a historic turning point not only for our country, but what was once called Western Civilization. In Europe and the United States, we are now seeing a high tide of populist nationalism, rallying disaffected white people who are angry and opposed to the multicultural societies these countries have been becoming.”

9 November 2016. Boston, MA. Around 1.30 AM, just a few remaining students still follow the Election Viewing Party organized by Boston University at the George Sherman Union. From the live-blog of the New York Times, the reporter Allan Rappeport at 12:18 AM writes “Dow futures had fallen more than 800 points. Stocks in Japan have also plunged”. At 2.48 AM the reporter Adam Nagourney writes “Trump is walking out on the stage. As the president-elect. No red cap. I’ll bet this is a moment he never anticipated”. At 3.05 AM he writes “And Trump White House here we come.”

css.php